Digital Transformation

Green ICT

The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) adopts Green Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Strategy which aims at reducing the adverse environmental impacts resulting from the expansion of using ICT devices.

Green ICT is what manufacturers, specialists, analysts and providers call all ICT solutions that save energy. These include hardware, software and services. ICT is playing an important ubiquitous role, whether in business or in individuals’ private lives. It is also consuming ever greater amounts of energy and is, therefore, the source of significant CO2 emissions.

However, while ICTs account for 2% of the CO2 emissions, it can contribute significantly in mitigating the effects of the remaining 98% emitted by the other sectors. This trend also seeks to protect the environment from the harmful output of technologies through using the right and safe scientific methods of disposing electronic wastes.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), under the theme of “Green ICT”, was signed to raise community awareness about green ICT challenges and opportunities, and was amended in November 2013, setting fundamentals and national policies for Green ICT, adopting a multi-stakeholder approach to address various green ICT challenges, reducing the adverse environmental effects resulting from the expansion in the use of ICT, supporting the use of communication and information technology as an effective tool to reduce GHG emissions resulting from other sectors. The framework of this protocol is based on three main programs: awareness raising about Green ICT, electronic wastes management, Green ICT procurement, and ICT solutions: a more sustainable future.

MCIT has worked in close cooperation with the World Bank and the Ministry of Environment to assist in leveraging the e-waste recycling in Egypt, and has finalized the guidelines on “Preparatory Information for the Implementation of an Electronic Waste Pilot Project in Egypt” in 2014. The guidelines provide the preparatory information for the implementation of an e-waste pilot project, to be implemented during a later phase.

It is composed of three associated chapters, the first of which is the economic incentives that stimulate the private sector to start an e-waste recycling unit. The second chapter is the collection strategy one which defines how sufficient e-waste could be collected for a pilot unit to be viable. The report concludes with some guidelines for NGO and private sector participation, describing the role NGOs and civil society can play in this context. This mainly concerns awareness creation activities and support to informal collectors.

MCIT and the Embassy of Switzerland signed, during March 2016, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to cooperate in supporting e-waste recycling industries in Egypt. The MoU was within the framework of the Ministry’s plan to contribute to improving sustainable development policies, driving economic growth through encouraging investment in the eco-friendly ICTs and setting foundations and national policies for recycling and sustainable management of e-waste in Egypt. The MoU focused on developing standards, policies and laws for this industry; improving stimulating mechanisms for applying the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR); and implementing programs of incubators and capacity building for youth. During the two-year MoU, the Swiss government was committed to providing financial contribution to support the implementation of these projects. The MoU also contributed to achieving the objectives of the “Green ICT” program which has been adopted by MCIT and the Ministry of Environment (MOE) since 2010. 

The launch ceremony of Component of e-Waste— of the Medical and Electronic Waste Management Project— and the Awareness Symposium on Sustainable Management of e-Waste were held in Cairo, in November 2017, under the auspices of the Ministry of Environment (MOE) and MCIT, within the framework of their efforts to protect the environment and human health. The Project aims to protect human health and the environment from unintentional releases of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) originating from incineration and open burning of health care- and e-waste. The project is implemented by MOE in collaboration with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), and under the technical supervision of the Waste Management Regulatory Authority (WMRA). The Symposium aimed to introduce e-waste management practices in Egypt and their impacts on health and environment and raise awareness about classification and methods of safe disposal of electronic waste, and legal procedures and environmental and health requirements for the management of hazardous wastes. 
Copyright Ministry of Communications and Information Technology 1999-2020. All rights reserved