19 October 2008
Dr. Nazif Offers 20,000 Computers to Top Students within "PC for Every Top Student" Initiative


For the second consecutive year, Prime Minister Dr. Ahmed Nazif honored today a number of top primary students from across Egypt, offering 20,000 advanced computers within the "PC for Every Top Student" Initiative. 

The celebration, held at Mubarak City for Education in Sixth of October governorate, was witnessed by Minister of Communications and Information Technology Dr. Tarek Kamel, Minister of Education Dr. Yousry El-Gamal, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research Dr. Hani Helal, Minister of Military Production Eng. Sayed Mesha'al, Minister of Local Development General Abdel-Salam El-Mahgoub, Minister of State for Administrative Development Dr. Ahmed Darwish, Sixth of October Governor Dr. Fathy Saad and Qalyoubeya Governor Counselor Adli Hussein.

65% of the offered computers are PCs, while the remaining 35% are laptops, all equipped with high-speed internet connection.

The initiative, launched in 2006 by Premier Nazif, came as a means to spread ICT tools among the new generations as well as encourage students to maintain diligence.  

The initiative aims at enabling students to build up their educational skills in an integrated way including the utilization of ICT tools and IT knowledge in education. 

Dr. Nazif toured the exhibition held by local and international IT companies like Intel, Microsoft and IBM, on the sidelines of the event. The exhibition showcased the latest technologies and education and training programs in the world that help enrich the educational process for students and teachers alike as part of the Egyptian Education Initiative (EEI).

Minister Kamel stated that this celebration, authorized by Dr. Nazif to be an annual event, represents a strong leap for the "PC for Every Top Student" Initiative, which is a key element towards converging IT with the educational process. This, he added, conveys the Egyptian future vision of developing education to be one of the most important socioeconomic tools.

Dr. Kamel noted that the initiative, in its second consecutive year, includes for the first time a 3G USB modem to provide high-speech wireless internet connection in remote areas nationwide. 

This comes as part of the "Internet Broadband" initiative of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology launched three years ago to provide remote areas with wireless ADSL service in cooperation with mobile operators.

On his part, Minister El-Gamal confirmed the equal opportunity principle in selecting top students reflecting keenness to include students from remote areas and villages nationwide as directed by the Prime Minister. Premier Nazif, Dr. El-Gamal added, requested that a special attention was to be given to pupils who finished the primary school and are preparing to join the preparatory stage, which is a critical one where pupils learn how to deal with IT before joining high-school. 

Copyright Ministry of Communications and Information Technology 1999-2023. All rights reserved